30 Sept 2009

Stats lagging badly.

They're lagging so badly that there's going to be at least a 30-40 point difference between enemies and Kyle when it comes to AGL in the coming encounters. Don't even THINK about his MANA stat. His HP is going through the roof though, which may not be a bad thing, but it apparently affects the other stats' growth rates. Since I got ahead in the remake (and here I thought I was going to finish the original first), the dragon races are up next, while I'm at Valhalla in the other. Best to choose the slowest dragon for fewer encounters since I can't indirectly control battle order. Yeah, I like the "Fixed Battle Order" that I enountered in MinSaGa and AnSaga. It's already a huge pain trying to bring the human's and esper's AGL up since it's not always guaranteed. In the remake, there's always a base 10% or 5% chance respectively to raise stats, with a 15(+)% bonus depending on battle conditions. I don't even know for the original. Can't seem to find any kouryaku sites that have such data. Perhaps no one cares anymore since the remake is out? Or it's just way too old... Almost 19 years.

To give an idea of how bad this is... Kyle couldn't hit Venus for at least 5 rounds of combat. That's his 14AGL vs her 52AGL. It's up to 15AGL now, after about 30 minutes of grinding in the Base World abusing Punches because they're cheap and can eventually be transferred to my little mecha for a little *ahem* stat tweaking. It needs to be higher...! I need a minimum of 40AGL to feel safe at this point, to maybe dodge and actually hit stuff to not waste uses. I forgot how many Gold Sword uses I wasted against her because I couldn't hit a damn thing. Good thing I managed to cut losses by just using Stone Gaze on her. First round win!

For now, I'll just focusing on raising stats.

Name
Kyle
Miri
Drak
Meka
HP
496
650(+)
315
500(+)
-
-       
60
-       
STR
24
40
4
4~10
-
-
0
-
DEF
0
10~20
0
10~20
-
-
6
-
AGL
14
40
10
30~40
-
-
5
-
MANA
3
20~30
25
40~50
-
-
0
-

Those stats are where I'd like to be before getting to the Dragon Race fights. Left Drak and Meka out of this mainly because their stats are completely variable based on what you change the monster to and what you put on the mech. Better stock up on some shields soon. Yay for having 0 base DEF and it being incredibly hard to raise. Managed to get a few points in SaGa2DS, but even that's pretty minimal (6 on my human and 3 on my esper). OBVIOUSLY I've been playing this game wrong, but it's an early SaGa where all your stats are derived from exactly what you did, not from innate growth rates+battle actions (MinSaGa) or weird influences (AnSaga). Well, it's more like I hate spending time grinding for stats.

Oh right. SaGa1. Well, just decided to start that up. Guess what I was greeted with... A BLIND IDIOT TRANSLATION. There's a bit of it in SaGa2 as well, but it's a bit better. There is a rather funny spelling mistake at one point, using a homonym for "here" from SaGa2. I wonder if they were serious about translating these games properly. The first thing that seriously annoyed me in the beginning wasn't the translation at all. That part was unintentionally funny because how badly everything was translated back then anyways. It was the tiles and the fact that the game just dumps you at the base of the tower with no real reason. It was just... boring. Nothing really stands out, and it's probably going to be pretty easy to get lost due to the lack of defining features for the areas. It's like I'm stranded in a desert or plains with a tower just there. Also didn't help that the sprite work was just plain ugly. Gameplay is pretty simple SaGa, but obviously lacking the polish of SaGa2. SaGa3 doesn't count. Way too traditional. Another funny thing... The JP ROM and EN ROM share the same save file, which was a weird surprise. That means that I can't have 2 separate runs going unless I get a little creative. Also got the game to corrupt itself in the JP version through what I think was the "inventory bug". It was fun seeing the tiles in all the wrong places.

No comments:

Post a Comment