25 Dec 2009

Next playthrough is being recorded.

Huh, there are more changes to the PC version than I thought. I guess I can start editing the Last Remnant wiki now. As an example, Mayfield starts with a Spatha customization so I thought that he would continue upgrading along that line. For some reason, he ended up upgrading to a Bluesteel after I visited a town to give Rush a Superlative Bluesteel to learn Cerulean Rain and provide better defense. Didn't happen as I just simply went "It's going to take too long. I'll just use its stats." As another note, Rush can't use Katana-based arts if the Bluesteel is in his main hand slot. I think pretty much every LasuRemu player knows that. Just noting it down for my reference for future playthroughs.

Anyways, finished my 2nd run, but just barely. As many people will note: morale control is key. The most surprising thing was that he didn't bother trying to kill multiple unions at a time with Deep Impact. The Conqueror did manage to use Animalcule twice, and both times, it didn't kill off the party outright. In fact, it didn't land any effects on 2 unions once, and the 2nd time was completely dodged by a union that can hold its own in a deadlock. And again, Rush was a main attack force with Swift Spring Squall V. At least he wasn't blocked or dodged when he was able to use it. There was some scrambling to get the unions back on their feet when I was left with only 1 union. None of the downed unions were near him, so breaking Deadlock was the only way to go and the only option I had unless I wanted to see the last one completely slaughtered. He was already in Savage mode when it happened, so the chances of seeing another dead union was much higher. I also basically cheesed him through abusing Cachexia V with Chamberland's union. I remember that specific one because he was the first to learn Cachexia, and the only one to reach level V with it. The damage didn't matter at all; it was the Clear AP effect that mattered.

And how much money did I get from New Game+ anyways?! Let's see... Before fighting The Conqueror: 1 357 992. New Game funds...: 92 142 067. Er... what? That's way more money than I need... EVER. It's the materials that are more important, although it's not necessary this playthrough. All soldiers means that Rush isn't going to see much of a fight unless forced. So... after Blackdale. I think that's where I'm headed next. Already got into an unnecessary fight at the beginning of the game, while wandering around the Gaslin Caves. Shouldn't have freaked out when that monster popped up from the ground. Oh well. Not like a fight there is going to affect my BR much anyways. Not going to care too much about my BR this time around, so let's see what happens, hm? Oh, and taking notes on the soldiers' weapon progression for the wiki!


FFXIII progress? Still very linear, but that's OK. I haven't gotten lost, so it's all good for me. Hope's got a lot of problems. Vanille is a little too happy for my liking. Fang is cool. Same with Lightning. Snow still needs a good punch to the head. Maybe several more. Sazh isn't that old, but he's actually surprisingly easy to relate to. Love the battle system. Libra/Scan is quite a life-saver, but you can't really use it that often since it's linked to the TP system. It refills gradually after several battles. There are other abilities that are linked to the TP system, and guess what? It also limits how many times you can summon. You can only control one character (Leader) in battle, and you can't switch. Perfectly fine with me because FFXII's way of doing it was a bit of a mess. The Crystarium system is like the Sphere Grid, but much more limiting. The game tells you how much you can upgrade by setting the Crystarium Level for that chapter. I like the Optima Change system quite a bit. It's possible to somewhat abuse it too. Sometimes when you Optima Change, the ATB bar refills instantly for all party members. Sometimes, not all the time. I don't know what the conditions are, but it's very helpful for the Healers to start throwing Cures in your direction. Best to do it when the HP starts getting into the YELLOW range. Once it's red, it's probably a better idea to spam Potions. It'll connect faster since the spells have to travel in order to activate. Another thing I like? BUFFS AND DEBUFFS ACTUALLY MEAN SOMETHING. Yes, that has to be in caps because you're going to need them. Enhancers and Jammers. Starting a battle with either of them makes it somewhat easier.

The boss battles are actually hard. There's a timing aspect in some of the battles too... The first one when in Lake Bilge created a few problems because there weren't that many Optimas to deal with. You need a Healer for almost all battles for the beginning, at least until everyone's leveled up a little bit to blast through the battles quickly. The Chain Break part of the game isn't that easily exploited, but it's something to aim for. The one boss that gives most people problems that doesn't involve a timer on your head? That bulb-like monster in Chapter 4. Keeping Lightning in the ATK role and having buffs casted in the first critical seconds in the battle were key. Then using Libra to figure out its weaknesses. Why? Because it changes its weakness every so often. It's annoying, but you practically have to leave it up to the AI to target that while you try to keep the Chain going with normal attacks or Ruin. The ATK also keeps the Chain gauge from falling too quickly. Helpful, to say the least. Oh, and timing? Knocking them up in the air, then synching attacks to KEEP it in the air. It stops the enemy from fighting back while you pound it with attacks. I summoned Odin into the battle, but it didn't help too much because it also stopped me from having Hope recast buffs. Basically, it was 2.5 minutes of trying to Break the boss while staying alive and Optima Changing every few seconds to maximize damage and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment