23 Oct 2010

It's been a while...

Since I've played a Tales of... game. Tried out the Tales of Graces F demo, and currently? I'm not exactly sure what to think. Don't really get the A/B skill system, not particularly fond of using just the analog stick for movement (Vesperia was the same), and the camera is kinda weird. Then again, the last Tales I played was in 2D and I didn't exactly read what the instructions said. Plus, the demo just kinda throws you into the fray. But unlike the Vesperia demo, I actually enjoyed making a total idiot out of myself. Managed to pull off a 秘奥義, which was nice. Pascal likes making things go boom. I think I get how to restore CC. This is definitely not a Tales game that I'll be doing co-op with anytime soon. They already had enough trouble with Tales of Rebirth. This is going to kill them even faster. Definitely faster than Tales of Destiny Remake, that's for sure. One thing I did notice... the AI's actually fairly intelligent. Anyways, like all the other Inomata Tales, no chance of localization! Not even Tales of Hearts was localized and that was on the DS.

Got 2 other demos: Fist of the North Star (Hokuto Musou) and Castlevania - Lord of Shadows. Didn't exactly enjoy either of them. Hokuto felt pretty clunky and a little slow after playing some Tales of Graces and Sengoku BASARA. I'm also not a HnK fan, so there's even less reason for me to even play it. Only checked it out because they were comparing the 2 games and wanted to know which one was the one to get. It was originally between SB and SM as they were released about 2~3 weeks within each other and HM is coming out next month, and was brought into the mix because of how badly SM3 burned some of the players. I'm kinda going "eh" at SM3 because it was recently announced that it was going to be up-ported to the PS3. I might decide to check it out if they release a demo on the PSN. But as it stands, I don't really like playing KOEI games.

Castlevania. It's OK. There were a few problems with the camera and the lighting effects (somewhat inconsistent). Combat was pretty simplistic. Didn't expect anything like DMC, so... it was OK. I wasn't exactly having fun with it, but I wasn't frustrated either. Just something about the aesthetics doesn't sit all that well with me. Maybe because I'm still stuck in the old-school Metroidvania era? That really can't be it, or else I'd be saying that 3D (not the new 3D supported ones, still no opinion on it) games sucked. I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm still not quite past the little bit of knowing that 3D Castlevania games in general aren't very good. It already plays a little better than the previous entries, but it's still not as fluid as I would like it. And it was only supervised by Kojima Productions. Not like they had much of a hand in this.


Still haven't booted up the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment