9 Sept 2010

The old drunk guy.

I still don't like using Shimazu Yoshihiro all that much. He's improved a good deal because of a special S property; you can prep the first strike. I don't actually know how to recover if he whiffs the first strike though. I don't think you can dodge out of the whiff, but I don't know if using a skill is such a bright idea either considering how open Yoshihiro is during the whiff. I'm thinking about completing his story 4 times just to equip the personal items to help level other characters...

The only character I haven't done a story mode in is Motonari. I'm just not fond of his style at all since I like a good brawl with the enemy, not running around in a 3D space laying traps. Perhaps I will change my mind on the matter later... when I play the PS3 version, because the FPS drops on the emulator really kill my enthusiasm at times. I like Tsuruhime now that I've gotten used to the just-frame style. You just can't spam with certain characters. I think I like Keiji's Green, Ieyasu's Red and Yukimura's Blue ends the most so far. Keiji, because he headbutts Mitsunari and Ieyasu. It's hilarious considering that Ieyasu has his headbutts of doom, and that you're headbutting Mitsunari (scrawny) with Keiji (built). Ieyasu's red route shows him changing throughout the story. And Yukimura's just plain funny. He forgets the money for the Saika faction, runs around making a bunch of mistakes, then gets punched in the face by Shingen. Then goes fighting Masamune feeling perfectly chipper after flying a good 50 metres or so. I think I would put Motochika's Red and Blue routes up there as well. Red, because how Ieyasu still considered him a friend even through all of that (just listen to his confusion). Blue, because of how pissed Ieyasu gets at the entire ordeal. No, it wasn't Ieyasu who attacked Shikoku. It was Yoshitsugu forcing Kanbei to do it. Cue little team up on poor Kanbei. The guy can never catch a break, can he?

On a side note, I noticed that 3 went back to what 1 was like; no pity EXP if you die like in 2 (x0.5 multiplier upon death). The EXP multipliers are higher in 3 (x1.0, x1.5, x2.0). The previous games had them at x0.5 (2/2H only), x1.0, x1.2, x1.5. Also, it's kinda hard playing with only 2 skills now, unless it's Kojuurou because he's really easy to play as. Having 5 of them at once was perfect as most of them were mapped to an intuitive button combination. Oh, and Motochika really sucked in 2. His recovery lag is so bad that you can't chain his moves that effectively. I did like how his fishing move worked though. It's like laying a trap, and going "fishing" for ryo. The timing on Keiji's Love Tactics seems to be stricter in 2. Or that the cues are displayed better in 3, to the point that I can actually hit them. I forgot how hilariously bad Ujimasa was, and even then, it was fun playing as that geezer on Extreme. Flailing around with a giant lantern!


Oh, and the PSN has a demo up for the NA version. Smart move, as these types of games aren't exactly popular in the West. Only had Ieyasu and Mitsunari as playables, with a stage associated with them. Not bad for 820MB. They were level 5 in terms of skills, level 1 in stats. Ieyasu vs. Yukimura at Ueda Castle, Mitsunari vs. Hondam and Ieyasu at Mikatagahara. Locked onto the NA Normal (JP Hard), which is easily seen by their equipment. Well, mostly Hondam's big yellow electric drill-spear and Ieyasu's cactus gloves. And Yuki's flaming spears. Sasuke's weapons don't seem to change at all... I'm not sure if this is the case, but it felt like the combo meter stays active slightly longer than the JP version. Or that they have that accessory equipped. Can't see it since the demo throws you right into the stage after selecting a character.

It also sounds like they're cranking up the HoYay to 11. Well, the HoYay was already there, just that this time I can understand everything. Uh... yeah. Ieyasu sounding like Grimoire Weiss is both a good and bad thing. I like the voice, but it's a little too old for not-so-little Takechiyo. I don't think that Mitsunari sounds angry enough, but you're comparing that voice against Seki Tomokazu of all people. And that guy can scream. As evidenced in Ieyasu's red route! It was the only reason why my mom noticed that I was still downstairs... I didn't really have much of an issue with the voices. It's currently listed at $45 here, so I'm not too sure about picking it up in EN since I already have the JP on the way. I've already dumped about 100 hours on the Wii version, so I know that I'll still be getting a lot of playtime out of the PS3 version. Not sure if I want to do it a 3rd time, especially with a penalty if I want to play on Normal/"Easy".

Excuse me, off to ship IeMitsu!

No comments:

Post a Comment