15 Feb 2015

Clearly I'm not Batman

I can't get into it. I just... can't.

There's just something about the game that rubs me the wrong way. Graphically, my laptop can't keep up a steady 30fps with everything set to low or even off. No point in complaining about visuals there (I know it can look good). The animations are rather stiff at times, which kinda dips into the uncanny valley. FOV is rather low... I actually can't play the game for too long until I start feeling a little off. Tweaking the FOV does help a fair amount. Set it something like 100. It was a little odd that using "fov 80", the command I use for LasRem, actually puts the camera closer to Batman than the default (which is supposedly 45). Well, whatever. As long as it doesn't make me feel like I have tunnel vision. Something about the colour palette doesn't sit right either. Probably that weird green tint in some places... But even that I can get over to some extent.

The gameplay generally pisses me off. It's probably because of coming from other games that don't feature any of that "cinematic" stuff. I like my combat to be flowing and seamless, not needlessly interrupted by slowdown. Sure, it looks awesome, but I'd rather not eat an attack because of the massive timing change. I'm OK with slowdown only on the final hit taking out the last enemy.

Also don't like the camera. I really don't like it bobbing up and down while I'm moving, except while in first person.



It was also the first time that I've managed to crash out of a game with a "Runtime Error!" dialogue window. Turns out that 11 files were corrupted. How I managed to get through about 10% of the game without it catastrophically crashing out before then is beyond me. And then not too long ago, it crashed out again, but with a different error that actually concerned me. It either doesn't play nice with x64 systems since I see a SysWOW64 error, or that there's some sort of memory leak after poking at Google. There were other games that popped out an error with the viewport code, although at different lines. Might be because of playing in windowed mode, which makes tabbing out of the game a lot easier than when it's in fullscreen. Doesn't have a borderless option, although I think I might be able to use Borderless-Gaming or other options to force it. Hell, might even try Gedosato for it.

I'll finish it. Eventually. Hopefully before Arkham Knight comes out?

No comments:

Post a Comment